Webroot Spysweeper Download

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Webroot Spy Sweeper customers say...

Webroot SpySweeper is really doing their homework. My suto update has me up to 3.5 which has nearly 69,000 definitions installed.

I stopped using IE in favor of Firefox so I had to stop using the Yahoo tool bar with Anti-spy, but trying other packages in concert with Spy Sweep so far Spy Sweeper has found more and been more thorough than any of the other anti-Spy products.

I am trying CA Pest Patrol on another system and will compare the two programs and update again. My experience with CA EZ Armor has been very positive so if Pest Patrol is along the same lines as EZ-AV and EZ-FW I expect to be impressed, but for my money Webroot has the best and most thorough product.

I use this in combination with Ad Aware. Spy Sweeper finds items that Ad Aware misses and vice versa. The first time I installed the package I ran it and the system found several questionable items. I ran Ad Aware right afterwards and it found 3 more.

A few weeks later I did the reverse on my daughters computer. Ad Aware pronounced the syetem clean while Spy Sweeper found a keystroke logger.

I suppose no one package will do it all. Last week I ran Spy Sweeper and Ad Aware. Both said I was clean. The I installed Yahoo Anti-Spy and it found two items one was another key logger!

Webroot does have great tech support, and they keep the software automatically updated for you. It does a good job, but there is no single package that will find all the spyware out there. I recommend using this in concert with Ad Aware or Yahoo Anti-Spy.

Installation was trivial on my two-year old XP system and Spy Sweeper didn't conflict with other programs running, including Norton Anti-Virus 2003. It's possible to micromanage which features you want to turn on/off. If you insist on using Internet Explorer, this product is critical, although I prefer Firefox for my browser which does a better job with pop-up ads and such.

Even with Firefox, however, Spy Sweeper found spyware and cookies that Ad-Aware missed. On a full sweep, it takes something around 10 minutes to sweep your disk, so while it's not super-fast, it's not super-slow either and for the most part, you will be running this product when you aren't using your computer.

The license is good for a year's worth of updates and assuming Webroot continues to keep up with what's out there, this is a piece of software that will give you peace of mind for a very cheap price. Highly recommended.